Smaller and less grand than Batopilas, the town of Urique (500 meters, 1,640 feet above sea level) is located in the upper portion of system's deepest canyon, which ends at the Fuerte River. The first of the canyon populations to be conquered by the Spanish, Urique is today a peaceful riverside town with some old colonial buildings. The town has only been connected to Cerocahui, the closest train stop, by dirt and gravel road since the mid-1970s.
Very simple accommodations with food are found in Urique, and there’s a campground at one end of town. Camping near the river is permitted. Several inexpensive restaurants serve simple but hearty fare, and several grocery stores sell basic supplies.
Places to visit and outdoor activities:
- Santa Maria de Monserrat Church, especially festive around her saint's day, September 8.
- Old adobe structures at Guadalupe y Coronado, roughly 4 miles upriver.
- Swimming, rock climbing, mountain biking
- Hike to beautiful El Fuerte Canyon, rarely visited by tourists
- Hike to Guapalina, a small village a few miles downriver
- Wet season rafting in the Urique and Fuerte canyons
URIQUE LOCAL LISTINGS
Hotel Villa Mexicana in Creel
|Adolfo lopez Mateos|
1 888 610 20 95
Boutique Hotel San Felipe El Real
|Ignacio Allende 1005|
0052614 437 20 37
House for rent
|Chihuahua, Chihuahua |
Hotel Parador Chihuahua
|Calle 3ra #304, Centro|
House/Condo for Sale
|Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua |
5 UNIT APARTMENT BULDING FOR SALE
Property for Sale
|CINCO DE MAYO STREET|
adobe alliance inc
|santa fe, nm, Chihuahua |